Saturday, December 5, 2009

Who thinks there should be more life-changing theatre that instructs and influences social change?

Life changing theatre would be a wonderful thing. The problem is that it's hard to write. It's almost impossible to write that kind of play without it becoming ponderous. The audience doesn't want to get beaten over the head with your message, so the writing can't be to heavy handed. And trying to write "Life changing" theatre is a bit of a trap, because what changes MY life might not change YOURS. It might be better to try and make an accurate portrayal of whatever your issue is (AIDS, Racism, Baby Seal Clubbing) and just throw it out there. See what happens. Somebody will have a life change because of it. There are people who saw Fast Times at Ridgemont High as a life changing experience, so it's not something you can really plan for. So, write your play, put it out there, Hope for the best.



Who thinks there should be more life-changing theatre that instructs and influences social change?events



of course i do because i do this kind of theater..............



Who thinks there should be more life-changing theatre that instructs and influences social change?home theatre opera theater



Oh please.... Don't bore me with your production, and don't ask me to perform.
Yes there should be more productions like Rent out there!
While I think there is a place for socially conscious live theater and plays, personally, I don't want to pay up to $100 for a lecture on social consciousness.
That would be great! Something thought-provoking. I'd like that better than mere "spectacle."
Read the Fervent Years by Harold Clurman. Theatre for social change was what the Group Theatre in the 30's was all about. That company gave us the likes of Elia Kazan, Lee Strasberg, Clurman, etc...



If you study your theatre history, you'll see a familiar pattern. A theatrical genre will find rebirth in confirming our humanity and reflecting the human condition. Over time however, we tend to skew toward the over blown and spectacular. "Same as it ever was."



One problem is that it is so cost prohibitive to produce new work. As a rule you'll find the most provocative theatre taking place in regional theaters across the country. New York is too expensive.
Wow ... social change.



Theater was once quite powerful before television came along so I'll fight my cynicism and try another tact.



I think the goal should be the cathartic experience ... the energy flowing from the performer to the audience back to the performer, like a building loop.



I think audiences have always had to be told "this is good, you should go see it" before they see it. It's like saying to a kid, "yum, yum I sure love spinach".



I think there needs to be a certain level of sophistication in our audience so they can understand the different levels of material being performed. Sure, I can enjoy a piece of classical music but only with training will I really "get it" -- why people don't understand this is true for dance and theater is beyond me.



I think due to the internet that there is a shift away from television and it's impact has not yet been noted (besides monday night football moving to espn). But I think eventually, people will leave the house again for some community communing at the theater, ballet, jazz clubs. Perhaps audience participation will be the key.



I do have hope for theater ~ it's a wonderful way of story telling. As a vehicle I think it's been kinda stuck, the experimentation has been indulgent and, most likely, the talent has gone to hollywood.
Theatre should be entertaining, engaging, compelling, and thought-provoking. However, nobody -- not theatre artists nor thaetre audiences -- wants to subsist on a steady diet of "lesson" plays. Every now and again, you need to toss in something that's just plain old FUN.



It's nice to think that, as theatre artists, we can make a difference and influence social change. However, one needs to be realistic. Frankly, if the audience leaves a play with which I've been involved, and they're still thinking/talking about it a couple of days later...I reckon I've done my job.
um. yes. this is what it should do and can do. "theatre is not a mirror held up to society but a hammer which to shape it" - brecht. i ask what theatre can do better than movies, try to find its allies. it's not broadway spectacle. it's real people in space with other people. interaction. movies can't do that. can i plug my company? www.outwardspiral.org

No comments:

Post a Comment